Tuesday 5 April 2011

Judgment Failures of a Food Lady.

Shaggy remains, well, shaggy. He's also still underweight. I've had him for approximately 12 days now, and he looks as though he has gained some weight, but still not enough to make me happy. I've ridden him three times lightly now, walk jog, mostly lots of turning and moving off my legs. He's sort of challenging as he's dead headed and then overly sensitive, hot and cold. He has no buck or rear, he never says, "no," he just throws temper tantrums at odd times which are mostly head tossing and becoming dead to my cues. He walks, trots (hammering-ly) and I know he'll canter, but he has no muscle and I feel we'd both die if I attempted. He won't move his hindquarters off leg pressure but he does turn at calf pressure. He does not back up. He barely knows how to whoa. However since he is not gaining weight like I believe he should be, I am officially laying off, like I really should have in the beginning. Over zealous I suppose.

On the Henneke Body Scoring Chart, I'd put him at a 3.5 but I don't know my stuff very well. I've only been looking recently. Here's a link to the actual chart and here's a link to an image pertaining to the areas used to judged body score. Here's Shaggy as of tonight. It was dusky so pardon the image quality. Also that line going from  his shoulder to the right was where I smacked him with a wet lead rope. Grass is very appealing. The other patches? No idea, the more hair I get off him the more weird things I'm finding. He does not seem like a very healthy horse in general. More about this to come...




He's being fed beet pulp, complete pellets, and alfalfa pellets. I'm not sure what to call the exact measurements but I'd put the dry mix at 2/5 complete pellets, 1/5 alfalfa pellets and 2/5 beet pulp. It is all mixed together in an 8 quart bucket and soaked in hot water for 15-20 minutes until all water is absorbed. He is fed this twice a day. In terms of hay - I'd be feeding an orchard hay or alfalfa/mix (one flake of each) if I could but orchard and alfalfa are so expensive, and my friend literally cannot afford it. The little guy pretty much gets to eat as much as he wants. I throw him 2 flakes in the morning to get him through the day while I'm at school (he's a very slow muncher) and then he gets thrown a flake whenever I see he's got none left to eat. Because he's so slow this normally translates into: 2 flakes with morning grain (7:00am), 1 flake when I get home (3:40pm), 1 flake with night grain (7:30pm) and then 1 flake at lock-up (11:00pm - 12:00am). Here's his grain in the sequence dry, soaking, soaked.


The pictures make him seem so much skinnier and then I feel terrible for even trying to saddle him while he's so skinny, but when you're beside him he seems much more solid and not so delicate. I wonder if the flash/lighting of the pictures exaggerates the ribs or if I should really feel bad for hopping on those three times. Either way he is getting a good 14 days of nothing but groundwork. I might tack him up for our 4-H riding lesson and check him up and lunge, but I will tie him and ride Lily instead. Regarding his overall condition, and speaking of 4-H, there is a vet (apparently a Californian vet) coming randomly to our city, and she will float and vaccinate/worm and do a general checkup, price depending on how many people show up.We get this deal because we are 4-H, she is already here (for whatever reason, I don't know) and because it's a clinic-type deal. My mare Lily is definitely going to get her teeth checked and vaccines done, and Alisha said YES YES YES to getting Shaggy done cheaper than normal. Right now the fee is $50.00 per horse, but the more horses she does the cheaper it will be. Our 4-H leader is assuming $30.00 per horse if this generates the turnout that it should. I think this is a great deal and will save us some bills as well as getting Shaggy checked out without creating a tense situation between me and my parents or me and Alisha. Until then (Easter Sunday) I am stuffing him with grain and grooming the hair out of him. Literally. Look at all this hair from 30 minutes groom time with a metal curry (carefully over his thin frame, naturally).



There's a schooling show on May 15th that is going to be semi-formal,with your basic in-hand, english, western, and pattern classes, plus road/show hack and mini classes. I'm going to haul both horses there and putter around with Shaggy, maybe throw Lily in a few classes and just play. I was going to try and do some in-hand with Shaggy but I think for now the atmosphere will be enough on him. I'll just help out where I can, take some pictures, and acclimate him to the scene. He's a real trooper and I know he'll take it in stride anyway.



One thing I can definitely say about our relationship so far is that he has identified me successfully as "the food lady." I walk toward him purposefully, and he goes "oh dear" and semi-avoids me. I come toward him with anything resembling a food pail or treat and he's all googoo eyes at me. He has the girliest whinny ever, and when I hear it from the house, I just know it's him saying, "Hey food lady, bring me some grub!"

3 comments:

  1. Don't beat yourself up! Take it from me, weight doesn't get put on overnight, and judging by the amount of food you're shoving in front of his nose--he'll plump in no time. Something that really helped Emma was eating a third meal a day. I used mostly beet pulp and about 2 extra lbs of grain.

    Other weight builders I tried were Cocosoya, Weight Builder, Corn Oil, Fat Cat, Hard Keeper, and Vegetable Oil. I had absolutely NO LUCK with Cocosoya Oil or Fat Cat. Hard Keeper made her BANANAS! She's not a spooky horse but Hard Keeper (to quote red bull) gave her "wings." She still gets veggie oil and I switched her off the corn oil because I didn't like what I read about it.

    I did, however, have a lot of luck with Weight Builder. Probably the most luck! She got kind of fat on the weight builder and I only had to do about 90 days on it and then I stopped and she has maintained weight fine. I even stopped the third meal/beet pulp entirely and we're doing fine with about a cup of veggie oil a day.

    Food for thought, no pun intended. Hope it helps! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm actually considering pushing back dinner time and feeding a third meal right when I get home and a bit earlier (around 2pm) on weekends. I'm going to give him another 5 or so days and see how he's doing then. The sad bit is he's only been getting grain for a month or so; imagine how thin he was before? He's always been sort of scrawny, I wouldn't be surprised if his lack of weight/proper feeding has affected how he matures. He's rising four and he looks two at the most. I think because of his situation that when he gets plump off grain and is cut back to a reasonable (I think his feedings are excessive, really) amount of grain per day, he'll thrive. He just NEEDS the grain, he can't live healthily with just hay like his sister can.

    If he doesn't end up thriving off these feedings and little/no work, I will discuss things with my friend. Maybe she should have been graining this whole time, but I know she'll work with me to get Shags to a good weight and then maintain him. If he doesn't pick it up with 2 feedings per day I'll add another small meal in the afternoon, and if that doesn't work I'll talk to her about something else. I've heard good things about Vegetable and Corn Oil. We'll probably go with veggie oil - what was wrong with corn oil? I haven't heard anything, but I would google before I fed something anyway!

    Would a cup of veggie oil a day be sufficient for Shaggy, do you reckon?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some horses just need a little extra more. You can't go wrong with free hay choice hay (which sounds like what you're doing). I seriously advocate hay over grain in all circumstances, but his grain doesn't sound excessive to me. And you can also spread it out over three meal periods so it doesn't look like "so much" at once.

    And I made my third meal mostly beet pulp so I wasn't over-using "pricey" hard-keep grain. May I ask what kind of grain you have him on now?

    To be honest I can't remember exactly what I read about corn oil that turned me off (it was in 2008-2009) but I do remember "oil preferences" are really up to the person/personal choice. Some people swear by cocosoya, and some people swear by Corn Oil, and others Rice bran etc. They all pretty much do the same thing. Veggie oil is cheaper, so I could buy more/feed more. Rice bran is definitely the most expensive and I had 0 luck with it and my friend feeds it to her horse with also no change.

    It would be, but make sure you start really slow with it. Just a dab in his feeding. Like a little swirl. You don't want to overwhelm him and turn him off his feeding. I was really, um, slow and poured a cup into Emma's feeding for the first time... She wouldn't touch her grain for two days, LOL. However once I introduced it slow, she ate it right up with no problems.

    ReplyDelete